|Early Childhood Classroom Teacher
|Big Sky Discovery Academy: in Big Sky, Montana
|In-class experience, BS in education or related field, Montessori certification preferred
|$40,000 base salary + additional DOE + benefits
|Monday – Friday, Full Time
About Discovery Academy:
Big Sky Discovery Academy is an independent nonprofit 503(c) school enrolling about 70 students in pre-K through 12th grade; the middle and high schools enroll approximately twenty students. The school opened in 2014 and graduated its first senior class in 2020. Our middle school classroom is multi-age with students in sixth through eighth grades. While Big Sky Discovery Academy is not accredited by the state of Montana, our multi-age, ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth grade classroom works with the University of Nebraska High School (UNHS): a college-prep high school offering quality education and academic services to students. Discovery Academy teachers supplement the online-based learning with high levels of support and supervision, and work with students to develop course-completion schedules that focus on mastery of content.
As a Montessori teacher in our Early Childhood classroom, you will collaborate with other lead teachers and assistants to prepare the learning environment, plan and give lessons, and record student progress daily. You will maintain an organized, engaging learning environment that meets the academic needs of each child and establish a culture of respect and inclusion; creating a space where a child’s social and emotional needs are tended to with as much care as their academic progress.
We seek a nurturing, knowledgeable Montessori educator passionate about working with small children. The ideal candidate is Montessori certified through an accredited program and/or has a teaching degree in Early Childhood or Elementary Education. This candidate should exhibit an appropriate knowledge of Montessori philosophy or be earnest about learning more through professional development opportunities. Experience working in a Montessori classroom or Early Childhood environment is preferred.
- Willingness to take initiative on projects related to classroom management and curriculum implementation
- Professional & prompt written and oral communication
- Ability to adapt and think quickly in a child-centered, fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of grade-level academic standards and requirements in Montana
- Adept at keeping accurate records and tracking student progress through multiple platforms including but not limited to: Transparent Classroom and IXL
- Create and maintain a respectful classroom culture of grace and courtesy
- Effectively communicate with students and families in a proactive, positive, and professional manner
- Engage with small children on their level- working on the floor with them, kneeling to speak one on one, etc.
- Implement natural and logical consequences (when required) that align with the Montessori philosophy
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with co-teachers, assistants, and other staff
- Attend and participate in professional development
- Monitor and record student progress using the Transparent Classroom platform
- Provide formal and informal assessments on an individualized level